Friday, November 9, 2012

Almanizer and A Mental Health Day

For about the last week I have been crabby, and I mean ugly crabby.  I am usually a very happy person and it takes a lot for me to become crabby, but I have been.  Yesterday when I was told I could take a vacation day today I jumped at it.  A long time ago an older woman (she was probably the age I am now at the time, and at 16 I thought she was nearly geriatric) told me that every once in a while she would take a mental health day, and she would do something that really made her happy.  We all laughed about it, but you know she was right.  Sometimes a person just needs a day to something that is not stressful to forget all the junk that goes on.


The first thing I did was to finish my Halloween quilt so it is ready for next year.  This pattern by The Wooden Bear is so easy it is just fun to do.  Since I am not fond of spiders I only put one on there...and I pretend he is cute. :)


Next I decided I should work on another Christmas ornament for my all handmade ornament tree this year.  I was a little worried at first about using black thread for a Christmas ornament, but after it was finished I really did like it.  I only have 34 more to make (there are three patterns by Blackbird Designs for each month), and I think it is safe to say they all are not going to be finished this year, but maybe next.


Since it was still early in the day I decided I should try to figure out how big I am going to make my 9-patch quilt.  I had thought I had all of the blocks done at 168 (I had made a few extra), but now I'm thinking I want it queen sized...so I made a few more from the strips I already had cut.


With another 19 finished I'm at 187 with a goal of 210.  I also need to get the sashing cut and the 2-inch squares for the border.  I think tomorrow I may try to lay out all the blocks and see what colors I need to add yet.  I still have quite a bit of fabric left so I do have some choices.


Last, but certainly not least, I made the block for today.  It is number 314 of 366 and it is a 12-inch block. All in all I think my mental health day was a success, and I may even finish this posting before 11 p.m.  Tomorrow will be another busy day, but I can smile thinking about all the fun I had today.  Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

3 comments:

Debbie said...

You had a very productive day. What a great way to spend it.

I have been thinking about you and I pray that all is well. Put on some Christmas music and spend another day enjoying yourself.

Pattilou said...

Hooray for mental health quilting style. I'm sure we quilters all relate!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Ohhhhhhhhh...Your pumpkin face IS cute....no pretending needed.